Fujifilm has announced the launch of the XF 18–120mm F4 LM PZ WR lens, a power zoom lens that offers a wide focal length range at a consistent F4 aperture. Fujifilm says this lens is designed for the hybrid creatives working with both stills and video, and is the first lens to be designed in ‘collaboration between FUJINON Optics and FUJIFILM X Series engineers.’
The 18–120mm F4 lens covers a full-frame equivalent focal length range of 27–183mm, making it a 6x optical zoom lens with power zoom functionality with a x0.2 maximum magnification ratio. The lens is constructed of 15 elements in 12 groups, including three aspherical elements and three extra-low dispersion (ED) elements.
The lens is fully electronic (aperture, focus and zoom) and features internal focus and zoom, meaning what you see is what you get—no extending barrel susceptible to dirt and debris. Speaking of the elements, the lens is weather-sealed at 13 locations and can operate down to –10°C (14°F).
For video shooters, Fujifilm has also added an aperture drive control that better suppresses exposure shift when adjusting the aperture while shooting, effectively giving you a clickless-style aperture with smooth transitions from one setting to the next. Other features include a minimum focusing distance of 60cm (24”), a seven-blade aperture diaphragm and a 72mm front filter thread.
Four different methods can be used to control the lens’ power zoom. The lens has a dedicated, speed-sensitive zoom ring, just behind the focus ring. Then, behind that, is a rocker ring that adjusts the zoom (or focus) at different rates, depending on how far you rotate it. The third is a dedicated ’T/W’ toggle on the left of the lens barrel, that drives the zoom at a consistent pace. Then, finally, there’s an on-screen touchscreen control on the camera (at the point of launch only the X-H2S has this capability but Fujifilm has said the X-T4, X-T3 and X-S10 will gain the feature via a firmware update).
Fujifilm says the lens is optically parfocal, meaning your subject will stay in focus, without adjusting the focus ring, throughout the entire focal length range. Its dimensions measure 77mm (3”) in diameter by 124mm (4.9”) long and it weighs approximately 460g (1lb).
The Fujinon XF 18–120mmF4 LM PZ WR is expected to be released September 2022 with an MSRP of $899 / $1,150CAD.
Fujifilm Introduces FUJINON XF18-120mmF4 LM PZ WR Lens
Hybrid Broadcast/Video/Photo Lens a First for X Series
Valhalla, N.Y., May 31, 2022 – FUJIFILM North America Corporation today announced the launch of FUJINON XF18-120mmF4 LM PZ WR lens (XF18-120mmF4 LM PZ WR), specifically designed for photographers, filmmakers, and image-makers creating both stills and video.
“This lens marks the first collaboration between FUJINON Optics and FUJIFILM X Series engineers, creating a truly hybrid solution for motion production professionals and enthusiasts alike,” said Victor Ha, vice president, Electronic Imaging and Optical Devices Divisions, FUJIFILM North America Corporation. “Incorporating our inherent broadcast technology has allowed us to create a lens with both cinema and broadcast- style features that delivers smooth zoom, focus, and iris functionality.”
XF18-120mmF4 LM PZ WR covers focal lengths ranging from the wide-angle 18mm to telephoto 120mm (equivalent to 27mm – 183mm in the 35mm film format). The highly versatile 6.7x power zoom, with its compact design, facilitates a variety of shooting situations including landscape (wide angle) and portraiture (telephoto). The lens is also capable of producing premium-quality video due to the advanced video performance Fujifilm has nurtured in its broadcast and cinema lenses over many years.
The lens offers constant maximum aperture of F4.0 across the entire focal range from wide angle to telephoto. It also has a maximum magnification ratio of x0.2, adding versatility to how the lens can be used to frame images when subjects are closer to the lens.
Thanks to the expertise of FUJINON Optics engineers, XF18-120mmF4 LM PZ WR has minimal focus breathing. As a result, changes in angle of view and variances in optical axis shift that can occur when focusing or zooming the lens are kept to a minimum. In addition to the regular zoom and focus rings, the lens is equipped with other versatile video features including a variable zoom/focus control ring and a custom Fn button.
Main Product Features:
Broad range of focal lengths for superior stills and videos
• XF18-120mmF4 LM PZ WR comprises 15 lens elements in 12 groups, including three aspherical elements and three extra-low dispersion (ED) elements, to effectively suppress spherical aberration, distortion, and chromatic aberration. The result is excellent image-resolving performance.
• Optimum positioning of the focusing element minimizes the effects of focus breathing.
Fast and highly accurate auto focus (AF)
• The lens uses an Inner Focus system, which drives the compact and lightweight group of focusing elements with a linear motor to achieve focus in as fast as 0.02 seconds1.
• XF18-120mmF4 LM PZ WR’s focus-tracking performance is dramatically improved when attached to the FUJIFILM X-H2S digital camera. The combination brings together X-H2S’s high-speed focus drive mechanism with XF18-120mmF4 LM PZ WR’s focus-tracking performance to easily track subjects, even while recording video.
Diverse video-filming functions for easy video production
• The aperture drive control in the XF18-120mmF4 LM PZ WR has been updated from that of other XF lenses to successfully suppress exposure shift linked to aperture adjustments. When the level of luminosity changes, the aperture transitions smoothly so that exposure stays constant, even when light conditions are changing rapidly.
• The lens features a zoom/focus control ring, which allows users to control zooming or focusing at a variable speed.
• The lens also comes with a zoom feature, that drives zooming at a constant pace2, allowing users of all levels of expertise to master video production with zooming.
• Combine with FUJIFILM X-H2S digital camera and FT-XH file transmitter accessory to remotely record video on a single or multiple cameras, online through a web browser.
Compact and lightweight design for advanced mobility
• The aspherical and ED elements were designed for both size and weight efficiency, weighing just over one pound (460g), measuring approximately 4.9 inches (123.5mm) in length and with a filter thread diameter of 2.8 inches (72mm).
• The use of the Inner Zoom system means the lens barrel has a plain, non- extending structure, resulting in a lightweight lens that zooms easily with no shift in weight distribution. XF18-120mmF4 LM PZ WR also uses a smooth power zoom mechanism to drive the zoom lens group linearly with a stepping motor. This results in high-quality zooming with minimal optical axis shift across all focal lengths, from wide angle to telephoto.
Dust and weather resistant structure capable of operating at low temperatures
• The lens barrel is weather-sealed at 13 locations to ensure dust and weather- resistance and to provide the ability to operate at temperatures down to 14 degrees Fahrenheit (-10 degrees Celsius).
Pricing and Availability
FUJINON XF18-120mmF4 LM PZ WR is expected to be available in or around September 2022 at a Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price of $899 USD and $1,150 CAD.
Fujifilm XF 18-120mm F4 LM PZ WR Specifications
|Lens type||Zoom lens|
|Max Format size||APS-C / DX|
|Focal length||18–120 mm|
|Lens mount||Fujifilm X|
|Number of diaphragm blades||7|
|Aperture notes||Rounded aperture blades|
|Special elements / coatings||3 aspherical and 3 ED elements.|
|Minimum focus||0.60 m (23.62″)|
|Motor type||Linear Motor|
|Focus notes||Inner Focus|
|Weight||460 g (1.01 lb)|
|Diameter||77 mm (3.03″)|
|Length||124 mm (4.88″)|
|Zoom method||Rotary (internal)|
|Filter thread||72 mm|